Sunday, September 13, 2009

Elsa Mora



Oh my gosh. We went to an art gallery opening last night.

Oh you guys! We got to see the wonderful artwork of the enchanting Elsa Mora in person!!! If it's at all possible, her work is even more stunning in person. I wanted to come home with everything in sight.

¡Estimado Elsita, adoré cada pedazo!

WAH! I didn't get to say hello though. I'm so shy and such a knucklehead. There weren't many people there when we arrived but Elsa was always talking to someone and I didn't know how to graciously um, linger and say hello, without looking like a lunatic. Duh. D'oh. Duhr.

And then my chance had passed ... the gallery began to fill up and she was encircled with intimates and well wishers. sniffle sniffle.

I need to wear a button saying "please come talk to me, I'm too much of a twit to come to you"! Woe is me.

Elsa is showing in tandem with the wonderful Carlos Estevez. I was unfamiliar with his work but I want to be sure and follow him now. Amazing work.

I did manage to say hello to Carlos Estevez and tell him how much I enjoyed his work and the show ... only because he happened upon me and we were face to face. YIKES! My husband had disappeared around a wall in the gallery and I had followed behind to see if the exhibit continued, found that it didn't (it was the office area) and I turned and there was Carlos Estevez. Blithering and muttering of words then commenced.

It's no fun being shy ... and middle aged. Geez.

Anyway, you must go see the show if you're in Los Angeles!

Oh and perhaps have lunch or dinner at Cube like we did ... we had Burrata with caramelized brown turkey figs and rosemary honey, I had sweet kabocha squash stuffed pasta, hubby had maltagliati with shaved lobster mushrooms and for dessert I had the chocolate lava cake and hubby had the warm honey date pudding. YUMMERS!

Such a delightful evening!

10 comments:

  1. No way! I love Elsa Mora's work! You're funny, I have behaved the exact same way while in the presence of a.) a rock star and 2.) a famous athlete. What a fun night and your dinner afterward sounded sublime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori!

    Way! :)

    ay yi yi, I'm a noodlehead doofus. So silly. WAH! Thank you so much for commiserating with me, I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one.

    The only thing that makes me feel better is that my husband, who will approach anyone and blab his head off, didn't see an opening either.

    Dinner was so good - I wanted to lick the plate! ;)

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate. I'm shy too. At least you still got to see her and her beautiful work! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Twyla,

    Happy Monday! I'll be posting my Monday blog links in a bit.

    Thank you so much for commiserating with me too - I always (naively) think I'm the only one.

    Yes, absolutely - I'm so very lucky to have gotten to see her and her breathtakingly beautiful work!

    Picking my sad sack chin up off the floor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - what a great art opening! I love her work, and I will check out Carlos Estevez. Don't feel bad about being shy - I am, too, and whenever I meet someone I really admire I say the STUPIDEST things. I mean, I might as well just drool on them, it would make more sense. I stumble & stutter over my words so badly that the person I'm talking to furrows their brow (trying to understand me). Which is why I like writing. I can always go back and fix the stumbles. :) Thanks for visiting me! xo Pam PS Your dinner made me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam!

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment and for your kind words! WHEW! So very comforting to know I'm not alone. Me too, if I'm able to get any words out, they're so inane and embarrassing and my voice breaks and squeaks! Oh dear. :)

    I know! I sure wish I was eating there again tonight! Somehow the veggie burgers we're having tonight just don't compare. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you! I am a big fan of Elsa's Etsy shop and would love to see her work in person. I probably would have been just as shy too!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stephanie!

    Thank you for being so sweet. If there's ever a next time I will have to eat my Wheaties or something teehee!

    I wish you could see her artwork in person - not only were there the gorgeous paper cuttings but she had pencil drawings and a couple of paper clay pieces. Oh and we also got to see a painting of hers at MOLAA (Museum of Latin American Art) last month. She is talented in so many mediums.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my dear Sally!

    I missed you all night and it turns out that you were right there in the very gallery! I was (I swear) talking with everyone and expecting someone to come to me and say: Hi, I am Sally. I was going to recognize you instantly because you said that you were coming to the opening. My neighbor's name is also Sally so I was extremely excited to meet the second Sally.

    But don't feel bad at all please, I am so happy that you got to see the work in person and that you liked it. As you could see Carlos' work is beautiful and he is such a beautiful person too.

    On the other hand Cube is my very favorite restaurant in the neighborhood, I am so glad to hear that you guys had dinner there.
    I send you a big hug and if you're ever in the area again please let me know so you can jump to my studio for a visit.

    All my best to you and your husband!
    Elsita :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Elsita!

    Oh my gosh! Thank you so very much for writing to me and your kind words. You are the sweetest and dearest soul! I would so love to see your studio, now I'm all teary with happiness.

    I am looking forward to reading all about your trip and your commencement speech - what an exciting week you've had!

    Thank you again so much for visiting me here. Wishing you enormous success with your show!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete