Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Quality of life

oh gosh ...

Well, we received a call from the ICU Doctor yesterday afternoon saying she'd like to speak to us about my father. We had already been to the hospital earlier on Monday, had come home, had just finished lunch, when the call came.

We met with the doctor and the picture is very sad.

We had been fooled by the stats on the machines, since my father's blood pressure was fine, his heart rhythm was fine, his oxygenation was where it should be, etc. and no one had suggested otherwise to us. Until yesterday afternoon.

My father gets better for a few hours and then there's a new worry. My dad's lungs and his ability to expel the CO2 are just about non-existent. He is walking a very narrow tight rope - any little thing could be more than his frail body can handle.

Heartbreakingly, his days may be very few or he may rally again, perhaps for a couple of months but not more - his new base line is so very low now and he doesn't have the strength to rebound yet again.

I'm writing this because I may fall quiet here and I wanted to let you know why.

I want to thank you all so much for your continued care and concern for my father and myself, your many prayers, well wishes, kind words of support and friendship. You are all very dear to me.

Thank you!


10 comments:

  1. Sally, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I've missed your posts at VTT. I had to hear similar news about my dad six years ago, so I know how difficult it is to hear. You're all in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sally, I am so sorry. I am thinking of you and sending all good thoughts and prayers. xoxox!! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sally---
    May God hold you in his arms during this time. I pray your Dad's time, however long it may be, is full of peace and love.
    Take care of yourself.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, I am so sorry Sally and heartfully pray for y'all and your Dad. You take the time you need and know that you have a far off bunch that cares for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh kiddo, I know what lies ahead of you. You will be torn thinking that you want to keep him around as long as you can or to hope that the end is blissfully near. It is about the quality of life. I wish you and your family good thoughts and the strength to forge ahead and deal with whatever life brings you. My prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sally I am so sorry you have not received better news. I will continue to pray for all of you, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sally,
    I'm thinking of you and your Dad. I just hope he isn't in any pain. Whatever happens, know that we are all with you and hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Sally, I am so sorry. I will send good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sally. I'm so sorry for what you are all having to go through. Praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete