Thursday, May 17, 2012

Vintage Golf for Vintage Thingie Thursday


 (Please visit Suzanne at Colorado Lady for more Vintage Thingie Thursday fun!)

 

This Vintage Thingie Thursday I'm sharing some of my dad's golfing stuff.  My dad loved golf more than just about anything in this whole wide world.  He played up until the last five years of his life, stopping at 87 when balance and an arthritic knee betrayed him.  He maintained his membership and  would continue to visit his club, have lunch and schmooze with his golfing buddies, many of them more than half his age.   
 

This was a gift to my father, I think from my brother - "The Original 19th Hole: Electromatic Putting Practice".  Over the years my father would have many contraptions for his putting his golf balls in the living room!  This one wasn't a favorite seemingly, it looks like it was never used but the one Christmas it arrived under the tree - I do see signs of my scribbling on the box, so I guess it did see some use teehee!


My father adored these books, the original "73 Years in a Sand Trap" from 1949 and it's follow up "89 Years in a Sand Trap" from 1965.  He thought them so amusing that they became a much sought after gift for all of his golfing buddies. 


The books have charming illustrations - I chose to share this one because of my father's penchant for practicing his putting in our living room.  


5 comments:

  1. A wonderful tribute to your father and his love of golf. My son and daughter-in-law are both golfers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the golf stuff. My Dad was am avid golfer too, until the last few years of his life. I remember some of that stuff being around our house too. Hope you have a great weekend. Don't spend too much time on Ancestry. Oh-I forgot to give you an update-finally got Family Tree Maker to work. So far so good. It's gonna take awhile to get all my hard copy back into the computer, but it seems to keep everything organized and linked to Ancestry. I'm having a blast though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed this post. Putting practice in the living room, that's funny. Let me second, nice tribute to Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally, I just passed on the Kreativ Blogger award to you, and now see that you are award free...oops! Hope I didn't offend. Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam! Oh heavens no, absolutely no offense taken in the least! Thank you so very much for thinking of me, please forgive me not participating.

      Sally

      Delete